Tony Marinaro is revolutionizing the way people talk about sports in Quebec. For real!
The English-speaking host quit his job as mid-morning man on TSN 690 to make the leap like ” simple “ columnist in the Francophone world. We can hear him alongside Jean-Charles Lajoie in September on 91.9 Sports and TVA Sports.
But Marinaro did not abandon the English training for all this. He is still at the helm Sick podcasta podcast English-speaking sportsman who attracts more and more listeners of many of our radios and TV sports. Congratulations Tony!
Yesterday Marinaro’s guest was Grant McCagg, a former scout with the Canadian for two seasons now at the head of the site Recruits.ca. It’s hard to attack his credibility when it comes to hopes … even if that doesn’t mean he’s always been right in the past. By heart, he would have chosen Dylan Strome before Connor McDavid …
Of course, there was talk of the next repechage … and above all the first absolute choice of the CHs in this episode.
What do I take from McCagg’s words?
1. Many NHL scouts don’t think Shane Wright is legitimate, McCagg says absolute first choice. Many find Wright lazy and not making the effort when he’s on the ice… especially when he doesn’t have the puck. Yes, he’s smart, but he’s not always busy enough. No, he’s not just saving energy according to McCagg, he’s not competes simply no. He’s a long way from Patrice Bergeron and Ryan O’Reilly, at least for now.
2. Also according to McCagg, Wright is not ready to play at the NHL center in October. He may need to start playing on the wing to get comfortable and adapt. He will definitely have a Wake Up during training camp, according to McCagg.
3. Wright was dominant at 14 and 15, but he’s no longer dominant at 18. And that’s troubling (according to McCagg). Nail Yakupov, Nolan Patrick and Angelo Esposito are examples of players whose progression stopped after maturing too early.
McCagg still believes Wright will be a good player on the Bettman circuit, but not a game changer.
4. Juraj Slafkovsky has a bit of Jaromir Jagr in his nose. He’s a in shape perfect for the Canadian, even if he plays on the wing and not in the center. Recall that Bob McKenzie put Slafkovsky first on his last list… and since he’s a winger – and Wright a center – he’s probably a lot better than Wright.
5. According to McCagg, the Canadian will choose Slafkovsky. There is still a lot of potential to improve … and he already has great skating, quality shooting and good hands. And he is tall / fat!
Slafkovsky is probably NHL ready too … although according to some advanced statistics models, he is ranked 16-43!
– One-year contract extension for Craig Anderson in Buffalo.
Andy is back!
We signed a one-year contract for goalkeeper Craig Anderson with a base salary of $ 1.5 million.
Details: https://t.co/DYQQR4wFEO pic.twitter.com/X8L5pkfOgo
– Buffalo Sabers (@BuffaloSabres) June 30, 2022
– Zachary Fucale has no filters and always gives good interviews.
DSLM // Heart-to-heart interview with the sympathetic @ Fucale31who talks as much about his dark times as he is about his NHL debut with the Capitals.
“I won’t be the last to experience this …” https://t.co/Dj8m4nNGp2
– 91.9 Sport (@ 919sport) June 30, 2022
– Bianca Andreescu is already eliminated at Wimbledon.