ADVERTISEMENT

Sports

Sexual Assault Allegations | Hockey Canada denies trying to cover up the affair

ADVERTISEMENT

(Ottawa) Deploring the “speculative” coverage of the gang rape allegations against eight former Canadian Hockey League (CHL) players, the former CEO of Hockey Canada swears that we never wanted to “camouflage” the alleged assault. The athletes targeted by the lawsuit did not spend a cent of their money to settle the case out of court.

Posted at 16:29
Updated at 17:03

Melania Marchese

Melania Marchese
The print

In his opening remarks to the Canadian Heritage Standing Committee on Monday, outgoing Hockey Canada CEO Tom Renney said the organization has not tried to “sweep the issue under the rug.”

He was accompanied by Scott Smith, president and chief operating officer of Hockey Canada, Dave Andrews, president of the Hockey Canada Foundation, and a lawyer, Andrew Winton. However, the latter did not have the right to speak to elected officials during this commission hearing.

On April 20, a young woman filed a lawsuit for 3.55 million, including 2 million in past and future pecuniary damages and 1 million in punitive damages, against eight former Canadian Hockey League (CHL) players, against the same league and against Hockey Canada.

However, the organization was very quickly informed of the alleged facts, which date back to the night between 18 and 19 June, as reported. The print. This was confirmed by Tom Renney to elected members of the committee, saying he was informed of the incident on June 19, 2018.

As for police authorities, they were alerted “between 6pm and 7pm” on the evening of June 19, Scott Smith, on his right, said.

Not a dime from the players

The out-of-court settlement check was signed by Hockey Canada “on behalf of all defenders,” meaning the hockey players involved paid nothing, Scott Smith said in response to questions from Liberal Anthony Housefather, who appeared surprised by this revelation.

And the identity of the athletes, the organization says they don’t know.

If we had known what the number was on their jersey, it is very likely that we would have sanctioned these players, argued Mr. Smith, relying on the alleged victim’s willingness not to identify his strikers.

At the committee table we were alarmed. Because these alleged forwards could now be players on a National Hockey League (NHL) or American League team. They could be coaches. The anonymity conferred on them by the confidentiality agreement is unacceptable, they relieved the elect.

The gang rape allegedly took place in London, Ontario, just hours after a gala hosted by Hockey Canada on the sidelines of its foundation’s annual golf tournament.

Another revelation – and a contradiction – startled elected officials. Tom Renney and Scott Smith skated in response to a question from neo-Democrat Congressman Peter Julian, who asked them the number of players seen as part of the independent internal survey conducted by the company Henein Hutchison LLP.

The first said there were four or six.

The second contradicts it by saying that this number was higher and that “12 or 13” players were welcomed by the company’s investigators.

The alleged victim, now 24, accuses the junior players, some of whom had just won gold at the junior world championships with the Canadian team, of attacking her in a hotel room on breakfast morning.

TSN reporter Rick Westhead was the first to report the case, citing the 18-page lawsuit filed in the Ontario Superior Court. The document, which The print since then he has obtained, he does not identify either the young woman or her attackers.

When asked to rate the number of sexual misconduct allegations that Hockey Canada has been informed of in recent years, Scott Smith estimated that “one or two cases per year” have occurred “in the past five or six years.”

On April 20, 2022, the day the actor’s lawsuit was filed, Tom Renney announced his resignation.

Pure coincidence, he told the committee table. “There’s no connection,” she snapped.

The apparition of St-Onge to come

Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge will appear before the commission at the end of the afternoon.

In early June, she asked Hockey Canada, an organization that receives funding from the federal government, to subject her to a financial audit to determine whether the organization used taxpayers’ money to strike an out-of-court settlement with the victim.

“I want to know if taxpayers’ money was used to cover up this gang rape story,” he explained announcing the opening of this investigation.

The committee of municipalities was due to hear from former senior vice president of insurance and risk management within the federation, Glen McCurdie on Monday, but the latter withdrew for personal reasons.

At Bloc Québécois, the party behind these hearings, it was said that the commission could send them an invitation.

With Simon-Olivier Lorange, Guillaume Lefrançois and Joël-Denis Bellavance, The print

ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a Comment