The compilation Sonic originswhich includes games Sonic the Curly, sound You Curly 2, sound 3 & Knuckles And sonic cd with new content and new features, it arrived this week for download on Nintendo Switch, playstation4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series And computer through Steam And epic Games shop. Since the announcement of the release date and the first information and images in April and the presentation in Sonic Central on June 7, the communication about the collection has continued. First, here are the latest official trailers and explanatory videos:
- Classic fashion : Dive into your memory with the original presentation of the game in 4/3 format with remastered graphics, limited lives and therefore the possibility of Game Over. This mode is unlocked as standard for all games.
- Fashion Birthday : If you’re looking for something new, Anniversary Mode offers a 16: 9 view as well as unlimited lives that allow you to progress at your own pace, without Game Over. This mode is unlocked as standard for all games.
- Story mode : combines all the games into one adventure: starts with Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and ends with Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.
- Animated video / cinematography : Sonic Origins offers an all-new animated intro, plus original ending cutscenes, for each title to tie together Sonic’s original adventures.
- Boss Rush mode : Fight against Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic and all the fearsome enemies of Sonic and his gang in a dedicated mode.
- Mission mode : Take on different challenges in all four games. Your rank depends on your performance!
- Mirror mode : Once unlocked, relive iconic levels in a whole new way – upside down!
- Rooms : Enjoy new rewards by collecting coins in Anniversary mode or completing missions in Mission mode. If you lose a special level in Anniversary mode, the coins can be used to take the level back instantly. Coins can also be used to unlock museum content.
- Museum – Find music, concept art, videos and lots of new content available in the Premium Collection Vault.
- Sonic’s motivation : He learns that Dr. Eggman is on his way to South Island to find the mystics Chaos Emerald and then goes to stop him and save the animals that have been transformed into Badnik.
- Game Tips
– Rings – Players will find rings (not coins). As long as Sonic has at least one ring, it is possible to take damage from an enemy or dangerous obstacles. If Sonic is hit, the rings pop out and players can pick them up.
– Terminals – Milestones save progress. It is therefore essential to activate them when you see them.
– Screens – Breaking shields grants Rings, lives or a powerful shield that allows Sonic to block a hit.
– Instant death – Even if they have rings, players die immediately if they are crushed. Look where you put your feet!
- News – Sonic Origins now allows players to play as Tails and Knuckles. Tails can fly and Knuckles can climb and glide. These heroes can use Whirlwind Race in Classic mode. In Anniversary Mode, players find Coins, Sonic Origins’ new currency. Players will also be able to use the new “vertical jump” that Sonic first achieved in Sonic Mania.
- Special Levels and Emeralds of Chaos – There are six Chaos Emeralds to collect in Sonic Origins, unlike the seven typically found in Sonic games. To access a special level, players will need to reach the finish line with 50 or more rings and jump into the giant ring that appears. So it’s time to navigate the rotating maze.
Here are the gameplay footage:
In terms of music, the soundtrack of Sonic 3 and Knuckles was specially adapted for compilation by the composer Jun Senou because not all original sounds can be used. He still tried to play them using the same sound chip as the console. Mega Drive / Genesis saw. Interestingly, Senoue has been adapting the music since 1993, which means it comes from the game’s prototype, because the final version was released in 1994. Finally, Yuji Nakaone of the creators of Sonic, has confirmed that SEGA had actually used the music created by Michael Jackson for Sonic 3, information that is known but could not be 100% verified before. However, for the Sonic Origins compilation, it was not possible to replace them.
Even if it wasn’t part of the build project study of the head gun (who worked in particular on Sonic Mania and Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 ports on mobile devices) helped for the “remaster” of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. More explanation is available from one of the developers of the study to this address. The compilation is offered in two versions: standard at € 39.99 And Digital Deluxe for € 44.99. As a pre-order bonus, SEGA offered enter mirror mode directly (can be unlocked normally in the game without the bonus), 100 medallions And 10 types of Mega Drive letterbox background (also available with the Digital Deluxe Edition). A DLC Premium and classic sound packs to € 3.99 also offers exclusive music tracks from Mega Drive games (this content is also included in the Digital Deluxe Edition).
The Digital Deluxe Edition includes, in addition to the original game, 11 types of unique challenging missions, 10 types of Letterbox (Mega Drive) backgrounds as skins for each game, animations with characters in the main menu, camera controls on the islands of the main menu, animations for the characters in the Musical Islands and finally 73 additional music extracted from the following Mega Drive games: Sonic 3D Flickies ‘Island / Sonic 3D Blast and Knuckles’ Chaotix.
SEGA promises a compilation with Remastered Mega Drive Sonic games perfectly adapted to today’s platforms with revamped graphics, new features, new content and modes. Note that the June 23 release date was not chosen at random, since the very first game in the series was released on June 23, 1991. As for the news, there’s the Classic fashion which will allow replay the games in their original version (limited number of lives, game overs and retro presentation) while enjoying the remasteringand the Fashion Birthday where we can play in full screen and have unlimited lives to avoid putting too much pressure on yourself. However, if you still want a challenge after trying birthday mode, it’s possible freely switch between modes.
Other new features include missions, medallions and a museum. These are the missions, which ask you to complete certain objectives in each game, which will allow you to get medallionswhich can then be spent in the museum to unlock new content, try the Special Internship and more. As for the visual enhancements, they are particularly in terms of visualization and animations. We also find a mode that allows you to face all the bosses of each game in a row a mirror mode allowing you to discover the levels upside down as well as a small story mode where you can only play Sonic with animations that recreate the events of the four games in the collection. There are two types of collections in the museum: the regular collection whose content is automatically unlocked as you progress through the compilation games, and the premium collection, whose content is unlocked by spending coins earned in the Missions and Boss Race modes. Visual information and development documents can be viewed in the museum.