Game news F1 22: New circuits, VR, PS5 version … Let’s take stock
The Codemasters Car Simulation is back for a new installment. A few days before its release, let’s take a look at the game under the official Formula 1 franchise.
- When does F1 22 come out?
- What does the F1 license offer?
- What’s new in this episode?
- From virtual reality to the program?
- A glossy version for PS5?
- Special editions scheduled?
When does F1 22 come out?
F1 22 is expected on PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X | S and Xbox One on July 1, 2022.
What does the F1 license offer?
F1 22 invites you to take part in an officially licensed experience of the FIA Formula One World Championship: you will find all the circuits, 20 drivers, 10 teams, cars and brands of this new season.
What’s new in this episode?
F1 22 offers players the opportunity to participate in the competition with new championship rules, new hybrid cars and a completely revamped race weekend. The ground-effect single-seaters are back on the scene, while the circuits have been renewed and the Miami circuit has been integrated. This year, the mechanics will make random mistakes during pit stops.
Here are the changes made to the circuits of Barcelona, Adelaide (Australia) and Yas Marina (Abu Dhabi):
- Spain: Turn 10 sees a new layout matched to the one actually introduced for the 2021 postponed race. Turns 10-14 have updated off-road areas, as well as several sausage curbs around the circuit.
- Australia: The Albert Park circuit has been redesigned using LIDAR data, with more detailed height and camber. The walls of the external areas have been repositioned and the curbs replaced with new photogrammetric versions. Many changes have been made to the circuit with a new layout of curves 1, 3, 6, 8/9 (replacing the chicane), 11, 12 and 13.
- Abu Dhabi: Yas Marina Turn 5, where Verstappen overtook Hamilton to secure first place in the 2021 Formula 1 ™ World Championship, was modified with the removal of the chicane before the hairpin. The hairpin has also been moved forward, adding more runoff. The chicane at Turn 9 and 90 degree turns are now the same camber, replacing Turns 11-14. Finally, turns 13-15 have been rounded around the hotel to allow cars to follow it more closely.
Furthermore, the level of the teams will be homogenized so that the winners of the races do not always come from Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull. In this sense, the opposing AI has been redesigned to better adapt to different types of difficulties and the cutscenes have been reversed to be more immersive. From a pure gameplay standpoint, the formation lap is refined before a race starts and you will be able to position your vehicle defensively or offensively.
Finally this year, no scripted mode on the program, but a hub called F1 life where players will share their trophies, their creations in terms of single-seater liveries, Supercars, their apartment and their fully customizable player appearance.
From virtual reality to the program?
The PC version of F1 22 will be compatible with Valve Index, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift VR headsets to put you in the shoes of a racing driver. She appeared with Lance Stroll on the Aston Martin AMR22.
A glossy version for PS5?
Codemasters recently announced the PlayStation 5 will take into account the different features of DualSense to maximize the sensations. The goal: to strengthen the resistance of the triggers when braking or losing control of a vehicle to reinforce immersion.
For the PS5, adaptive triggers are used by directly correlating the trigger resistance to the slip ratio of the tires. This means that when your car “swerves” under braking, the degree of resistance of the brake trigger also increases, allowing for a more engaging connection with the car. Likewise, if you coast, the throttle trigger resistance increases. A subtle difference has also been implemented between the default resistance of the accelerator and brake triggers to simulate the difference in pressure required to activate the brake pedal versus that required to activate the accelerator in a real Formula 1 car. Steven Embling, Senior Game Designer at Codemasters
Also note that the haptic feedback and DualSense speaker will be used to the fullest. Players will be able to feel the collisions thanks to the vibrations of the controller, but also the different textures of the terrain. Finally, the speaker will be tapped when a track engineer decides to speak to help you get to your destination.
Special editions scheduled?
F1 2022 will come in two versions. The standard for € 59.99 includes the game, New Era F1 22, Life in F1 Starter Pack and 5,000 PitCoins. The edition Champions ($ 89.99) includes the game, 3 days early access, Miami Theme Content Pack (limited time offer), New Era F1 Content 22, Life in F1 Starter Pack, new additional drivers, 18,000 PitCoins and the update to PS5 series / Xbox version.