(Montreal) Spanish veteran Fernando Alonso (Alpine) dominated the last free practice session of the Canadian Grand Prix, in the rain, ahead of Frenchman Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri), on Saturday in Montreal, before qualifying which also risked of running on a wet track.
Posted at 14:38
The sun and heat on Friday gave way to rain and temperatures of 10 ° C at the Gilles-Villeneuve circuit, which allowed other riders to shine, including the two-time Spanish world champion (2005, 2006 at the Renault).
Max Verstappen (Red Bull), championship leader and dominator on Friday, and Charles Leclerc (Ferrari), 3And of the championship and 2And On Friday, respectively, this rainy hour ended at 9And and in last place, because Leclerc did not register a time.
The Monegasque will start at the bottom of the grid on Sunday, whatever his qualifying result, due to a penalty caused by installing a 4And Brand new Ferrari engine, plus the quota of three homologated engines per season.
Suddenly, the forty-year-old Alonso takes the opportunity to allow himself a symbolic first place with his Alpina. Gasly placed in 2And placed at 53/1000Andahead of four-time German world champion Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin).
The other Frenchman Esteban Ocon (Alpine) took 4And time.
Rain and puddles trapped several drivers, starting with Verstappen, but also Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) and Kevin Magnussen (Haas). Without consequences.
Qualifying will take place at 16:00 local time (22:00 French time) and there may still be rain. But this time, everyone will have to play.
- Fernando Alonso (ESP / Alpine-Renault) 1: 33.836 (15 laps)
- Pierre Gasly (FRA / AlphaTauri-Red Bull) 1: 33.889 (18)
- Sebastian Vettel (GER / Aston Martin-Mercedes) 1: 33.891
- Esteban Ocon (FRA / Alpine-Renault) 1: 34.003
- Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / McLaren-Mercedes) 1: 34.110
- Lando Norris (GBR / McLaren-Mercedes) 1: 34.248
- George Russell (GBR / Mercedes) 1: 34.259
- Sergio Perez (MEX / Red Bull) 1: 34.498
- Max Verstappen (NED / Red Bull) 1: 34.616
- Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP / Ferrari) 1: 34.778
- Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Alfa Romeo) 1: 35.016
- Zhou Guanyu (CHN / Alfa Romeo) 1: 35.213
- Lance Stroll (CAN / Aston Martin-Mercedes) 1: 35.531
- Kevin Magnussen (DEN / Haas-Ferrari) 1: 35.643
- Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes) 1: 35.692
- Alexander Albon (THA / Williams-Mercedes) 1: 35.761
- Yuki Tsunoda (JPN / AlphaTauri-Red Bull) 1: 36.261
- Mick Schumacher (GER / Haas-Ferrari) 1: 37.388
- Nicholas Latifi (CAN / Williams-Mercedes) 1: 38.394
- Charles Leclerc (Mon / Ferrari) 0000