We entered in September with the electricity and natural gas excursions. The electricity used in the residences increased by 20 percent and the natural gas used in the residences increased by 20.4 percent. The increase in September will raise the average electricity bill for a family of 4 from 346.90 TL to 416.3 TL. This means that the electricity bill will increase by TL 69.4 compared to the previous month and by TL 196.6 compared to the beginning of the year. The average natural gas bill of a family of 4 living in Istanbul will increase to 436 TL starting in September. This winter is not going to pass easily with heavy bills.
So what can we do to cut our electricity and natural gas bills a bit? What steps can we take at home to ensure bills come to a minimum? Here I searched for the answers to these questions …
KETTLE ONCE A DAY, 4 TIMES A WEEK FOR LAUNDRY
• Let’s start with electricity… To reduce your electricity bill, we first need to know. Kettle, iron, oven and air conditioner are the ones that make the counter turn the most between appliances… The logic is this; Appliances that heat up and cool down quickly are quickly turning the counter.
• Think twice before running a kettle every few hours. Because running a kettle 7 times a week consumes electricity, almost equivalent to running a washing machine 4 times a week and having the television on 5 hours 7 days a week.
IRON 2 TIMES A WEEK = REFRIGERATOR 24/7
• Let’s come to the oven … Who is used to making lahmacun and pita at home with the pandemic … You should know that using an oven for 1.5 hours once a week is more expensive than using a laptop for 1 hour 7 times per week…
• Ironing for 2 hours 2 days a week costs more than the refrigerator that works for 24 hours.
CLASSIC BULB 20 TIMES THE LED BULB
• If it is essential to reduce the electricity bill, replace the traditional bulbs with LED bulbs. Do you know that a conventional light bulb burns 20 times more electricity than a led light bulb? I got these figures from the consumption calculation section of the CK Boğaziçi Elektrik website. Despite the rate for January 1, 2022, I recommend that you take a look at the table on the site to compare the times of use of household appliances and the amount of electricity they consume.
• By the way, one more piece of information… Having separate washing machines and dryers is beneficial in terms of electricity savings. Both washing machines and dryers spin the counter a lot more …
• To save energy, run the dishwasher at full capacity.
• Unplug the iron 5 minutes before the end of the process and use the heat on the soleplate.
• Place the refrigerator at least 10 cm away from the wall in a place not exposed to the sun.
• Start the kettle by filling it with the exact amount of water needed.
• If you prefer electric heating in winter; Make sure that the electric heater is no more than 6 meters away from the area to be heated.
• Make sure there is a ground line in the socket where the heater is plugged.
LOWER THE COMBI BY 1 DEGREES, SAVE 7 PERCENTAGE
We are mulling how to lower bills after the 20.4% increase in natural gas. Here are BEDAŞ’s advice …
• You can save 40 percent by insulating the outside of your home. The insulation of the roof, external walls and basement floors is also very important.
• The location of the furniture in the room also has a major impact on rising natural gas bills in the winter. You can use the curtains by shortening them or without covering the honeycomb.
• Objects placed in front of the honeycomb can prevent heat from spreading around the room. It is possible to contribute to the family budget with some tricks in the room. Heat reflection can be achieved with the insulation material placed behind the radiator, which is supplied by hardware stores and home improvement stores. The front of the honeycomb should always be open.
• Goggles that prevent cold air from entering from outside are a very important factor in preventing heat loss. Precautions must also be taken in this regard. You can detect if there is an air leak by checking the wicks on the glass.
• To adjust the comfort temperature in the home, instead of using the water temperature setting on the device; It is very important to use a room thermostat with modulation function connected to the device and a thermostatic valve connected to the radiator.
• Reducing the comfort temperature by one degree in homes results in savings of 6-7%. (While the comfort temperature is 19-21 ° C in Europe, it is 23-24 ° C in our country)
• One of the misconceptions about heat is that only the honeycombs of the used rooms are open. The low heat of cold rooms can lower the high temperature in the rooms used. The contribution to the domestic economy can be made by eliminating some well-known mistakes.
• The maintenance of the boiler by the authorized service and the cleaning of the system and radiators play an important role in saving fuel.
• Using a highly efficient device not only saves fuel but also reduces carbon emissions into the atmosphere.